Foundations of Health
Foundations of hormone health include lifestyle and dietary choices that support optimal hormone function, a high grade multiple vitamin-mineral formulation, essential fatty acids rich in docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, and a high grade multiple species probiotic to support optimal health of digestive system and immune system. To learn more about the foundations of hormone health, please see the Hormone Health Guidelines series of articles.
Primary Hormone Health Formulations
The hormone health formulation that is first and foremost indicated for premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) is:
- ProgestoMend™ is a unique blend of phytoprogesterones, adaptogens and other herbs to naturally support hormonal balance by primarily supporting the body’s natural ability to make progesterone and pregnenolone while also helping control androgen excess, helping support thyroid function, and supporting proper blood sugar function.
Important Note: It is important to realize that success has been achieved when women experiencing PMS/PMDD take ProgestoMend™regularly – every day of the month. This is because the underlying problems associated with PMS/PMDD actually exist throughout the entire monthly cycle, even though the symptoms only occur at certain times of the month. Women who take Progesto-Mend™ every day of the month have reported an end to menstrual cramping & pain, and an end to severe mood disorders that have affected them their entire lives. ProgestoMend™ does not contain progesterone, pregnenolone, allopregnanolone or any other added hormones – but increases endogenous production of these hormones, thereby restoring normal, natural function. Significant clinical improvement may actually occur within the first month of using the formulations and following the Hormone Health Guidelines.
Since low progesterone/allopregnanolone may cause androgen excess symptoms it is advised to use the Progesto-Mend for at least two months before deciding if the androgen symptoms need to be further addressed.
Since women who have experienced severe PMS symptoms their entire lives have always known when their period was going to come because of the symptoms, it is very important that they learn how to predict the coming of their period with calendars and more subtle symptoms.
Secondary Hormone Health Formulations
Androgen excess (too much testosterone and DHEA) is the most common secondary hormone imbalance that can occur with PMS/PMDD. As noted, since low progesterone/allopregnanolone may cause androgen excess symptoms it is advised to use the ProgestoMend™ for at least two months before deciding if the androgen symptoms need to be further addressed. Note: This androgen excess does not mean that everyone with PMSD/PMDD has PCOS or PCO-like syndrome, because the androgen excess that occurs with PMS/PMDD is less than that seen in PCOS & PCO-like syndrome. However, in some cases some women actually do have PCOS or PCO-like syndrome. The probability of having PCOS, PCO-like syndrome or other androgen excess condition in women can be made through the use of questionnaires, and/or lab tests. A diagnosis can only be made by a licensed healthcare professional.
Now, concerning the androgen excess seen in PMS/PMDD, the hormone health formulation that can best help with this is:
- TestoQuench™ for Women, a synergistic formulation of phytoantiandrogens designed to restore healthy hormone balance by calming and androgen excess symptoms. In PMS/PMDD only one capsule of Testo-Quench™ is usually required if there is not a concurrent occurrence of PCOS/PCO-like syndrome.
Since decreased thyroid function can also occur with PMS/PMDD, a hormone health formulation to support the function of the thyroid gland and the liver (which converts T4 to T3) and also supports the function and response of tissues that respond to thyroid hormones should be used if there are signs and symptoms of decreased thyroid function.
It is again advised to use the ProgestoMend™ for at least two months before deciding if the thyroid symptoms need to be further addressed.
- ThyroMend™ is a synergistic combination of iodine containing seaweeds, and herbs which contain phytothyroidogenic, phyto-thyroid-receptor agonists, and other herbs designed to promote optimal function of thyroid hormones by maintaining the health of thyroid hormone producing tissues and by supporting the healthy function of tissues that respond to thyroid hormones.
As noted, there may be decreased blood glucose function in PMS/PMDD due to the other hormone imbalances. Excessive body weight also increases the risk for decreased blood glucose function. A hormone health formulation to support healthy blood glucose function should be used if there are signs and symptoms of poor blood sugar function.
- Glucobrium is a synergistic formulation of phytotherapeutic extracts which mimic and potentiate the actions of insulin and support healthy blood glucose function.
Hormone Precursors & Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
A hormone precursor that may be appropriate for PMS/PMDD is pregnenolone. If it is used to help support progesterone and adrenal production of progesterone and allopregnanolone, it is very important that estrogen, progesterone, testosterone and DHEA levels all be monitored, because hormone precursors can affect the levels of each of those hormones. This is important because excessive DHEA and/or testosterone may make PMS/PMD worse.
Hormone precursors can be tried after three months of Foundations of Health and Hormone Health Formulations as indicated, so that hormone metabolism pathways are at their best health.
Even though they are commonly referred to as “hormone precursors”, these supplements (1) may or may not be converted to more potent hormones such as progesterone, testosterone or estradiol, and (2) even if they are not converted, they still have actions of their own. Sometimes these supplements are used with BHRT to get better results. If hormone precursors are going to be used, please see the guidelines for Proper Use of Hormone Precursors. If Testo-Quench™ was indicated, and being used, then continuing on one capsule of TestoQuench™ for Women while taking progesterone may decrease the risk of raising androgens.
Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT)
BHRT in the form of prescription grade progesterone may be appropriate after trying Hormone Precursors for at least two months. The goal is to see if hormone precursors could first be enough to restore normal hormone levels and normal hormone function, and relieve symptoms.
Similar to using pregnenolone, if progesterone is used it is very important that estrogen, testosterone and DHEA levels all be monitored, because progesterone can affect the levels of each of those hormones. As noted, this is important because excessive DHEA and/or testosterone may make PMS/PMD worse.
Hormone Health Formulations and Foundations of Health should still be used with bioidentical hormone replacement therapies (BHRT) to improve the function of the BHRT and the response of tissues to the BHRT. By using the formulations with BHRT healthcare professionals prescribing the BHRT notice that they are able to prescribe lower dosages of BHRT, and women are having a much better response to the BHRT prescriptions. If BHRT is used, please see the guidelines for Safe and Effective Use of Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy.
It is also important to take at least a low dosage of Hormone Health Formulations while taking BHRT because BHRT does not fully support the hormone production pathways, but instead provides “replacement”, which may further diminish endogenous hormone production. Hormone Health Formulations also maintain proper tissue response to the BHRT and decrease the development of hormone resistance.
If Testo-Quench™ was indicated, and being used, then continuing on one capsule of Testo-Quench™ while taking progesterone may decrease the risk of raising androgens.
Using this Protocol
1. This is a brief summary on how to use this protocol. Please become familiar with the Hormone Health Guidelines to learn how the get the best results from protocols. 2. Remember, the position of Your Hormones, Inc. is to connect healthcare professionals, nutritionists, health advisors, health teachers, personal trainers, fitness trainers, life coaches, health coaches or other persons acting in any other advisory role (collectively called Associates) with patients, clients, consumers, customers, etc. (collectively called Clients) who are looking for guidance, direction and support in achieving optimal Hormone Health. So we encourage patients, clients, consumers, customers, etc. to work with Healthcare Professionals.
3. The Foundations of Health and Primary Hormone Health Formulations should be followed for at least one month, up to three months.
5. If there are specific symptoms that are not responding to therapy use Protocols for Specific Menopause Symptoms. Keep in mind that if there are some symptoms still not responding, then there is most likely a generalized resistance to the therapy, such as Hormone Resistance. In these cases, more work may be needed in the Foundations of Health. The dosage of Primary Hormone Health Formulations may also need to be modified based on Customized Dosing Guidelines.
6. After one to three months consider Secondary Hormone Health Formulations and or Hormone Precursors, if they are indicated and appropriate, based on the unique needs of each person.
7. Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) may be appropriate after one month of Foundations of Health and Primary Hormone Health Formulations, or even right away, if the prescribing physician feels they are indicated. In patients already taking BHRT, but experiences inadequate relief even at higher dosage, Foundations of Health and Hormone Health Formulations should be started to improve tissue and cellular response to the BHRT.