Foundations of Health
Foundations of hormone health include lifestyle and dietary choices that support optimal hormone function, a high grade multiple vitamin-mineral formulation, essential fatty acids rich in docosahexaenoic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid, and a high grade multiple species probiotic to support optimal health of digestive system and immune system. To learn more about the foundations of hormone health, please see the Hormone Health Guidelines series of articles.
Primary Hormone Health Formulations
Hormone health formulations indicated for PCOS, PCO-like syndrome or other androgen excess condition in women include:
- TestoQuench™ for Women, a synergistic formulation of phytoantiandrogens designed to restore healthy hormone balance by calming and supporting the ideal function of testosterone sensitive tissues as needed in women with androgen excess. This is the most important formulation that should be used for PCOS, PCO-like syndrome or other androgen excess condition in women.
- ProgestoMend™ can increase progesterone production and function by improving the function progesterone producing tissue, and the function of tissues that respond to progesterone. The progestogenic properties of this formulation can help offset androgen excess in PCOS, PCO-like syndrome or other androgen excess condition in women.
Significant clinical improvement should occur within the first month of using formulations when foundational therapies are used concurrently. Please review Customized Dosing Guidelines for the protocols on weaning, determining maintenance dosage and addressing residual symptoms. The Primary Hormone Health Formulations should be taken at least three months after symptoms are under control before attempting to wean down to maintenance dosage.
Secondary Hormone Health Formulations
- Glucobrium™ is a synergistic formulation of phytotherapeutic extracts which mimic and potentiate the actions of insulin and support healthy blood glucose function. The formulation assists in the normal regeneration and repair of healthy pancreatic beta cells, which is important because pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction is a common finding in PCOS & PCO-like syndrome, especially if there is family history of diabetes.
- ThyroMend™ is a synergistic combination that supports the health of thyroid hormone producing tissues and the healthy function of tissues that respond to thyroid hormones.
Hormone Precursors & Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
The hormone precursor pregnenolone may be cautiously considered for PCOS, PCO-like syndrome and other androgen excess conditions in women, with caution because they may increase testosterone or other androgens. If they are used to help support adrenal function – or to try pregnenolone to raise progesterone - it is very important that estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels (especially testosterone) all be monitored, because hormone precursors can affect the levels of each of those hormones.
Hormone precursors can be tried after three months of Foundations of Health and Hormone Health Formulations as indicated, so that hormone metabolism pathways are at their best health.
Even though they are commonly referred to as “hormone precursors”, these supplements (1) may or may not be converted to more potent hormones such as progesterone, testosterone or estradiol, and (2) even if they are not converted, they still have actions of their own. Sometimes these supplements are used with BHRT to get better results. If hormone precursors are going to be used, please see the guidelines for Proper Use of Hormone Precursors.
After trying Hormone Precursors for a month, and if hormone precursors are not enough to restore normal hormone levels and normal hormone function, and relieve symptoms, then Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) is an appropriate decision.
Bioidentical hormone replacement therapies (BHRT) with progesterone may be appropriate, but as with pregnenolone, it should be monitored closely to make sure that it does not increase testosterone, DHEA or other androgens.Hormone Health Formulations and Foundations of Health should still be used with bioidentical hormone replacement therapies (BHRT) to improve the function of the BHRT and the response of tissues to the BHRT. By using the formulations with BHRT healthcare professionals prescribing the BHRT notice that they are able to prescribe lower dosages of BHRT, and women are having a much better response to the BHRT prescriptions. If BHRT is used, please see the guidelines for Safe and Effective Use of Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy.
It is also important to take at least a low dosage of Hormone Health Formulations while taking BHRT because BHRT does not fully support the hormone production pathways, but instead provides “replacement”, which may further diminish endogenous hormone production. Hormone Health Formulations also maintain proper tissue response to the BHRT and decrease the development of hormone resistance.
Using this Protocol
Using this Protocol
1. This is a brief summary on how to use this protocol. Please become familiar with the Hormone Health Guidelines to learn how the get the best results from protocols.
2. Remember, the position of Your Hormones, Inc. is to connect healthcare professionals, nutritionists, health advisors, health teachers, personal trainers, fitness trainers, life coaches, health coaches or other persons acting in any other advisory role (collectively called Associates) with patients, clients, consumers, customers, etc. (collectively called Clients) who are looking for guidance, direction and support in achieving optimal Hormone Health. So we encourage patients, clients, consumers, customers, etc. to work with Associates.
3. The Foundations of Health and Primary Hormone Health Formulations should be followed for at least one month, up to three months.
4. If need be, modify dosages using the Customized Dosing Guidelines.
5. After one to three months consider Secondary Hormone Health Formulations and or Hormone Precursors, if they are indicated and appropriate, based on the unique needs of each person.
7. Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT), such as progesterone, may be appropriate after one month of Foundations of Health and Primary Hormone Health Formulations, or even right away, if the prescribing physician feels they are indicated. In patients already taking BHRT, but experiences inadequate relief even at higher dosage, Foundations of Health and Hormone Health Formulations should be started to improve tissue and cellular response to the BHRT.